Tuesday, April 27, 2010

waiting waiting waiting

Bah. Today I am waiting for the phone call with the results from my dad's last PET scan. I don't know what PET stands for- but here it is in layman's terms: They give him a radioactive sugar shot (I call it a Spiderman Shot)  that seeks out and attaches itself to any parts of his body where there is cancer. Then they basically microwave him to pick up where those areas are and take a picture. I think I've been breaking things down for my kids so much that most of my explanations involve fictional characters at this point. (Unless it's Tobin, who I actually have to look up the acronym for PET for and who wants to check out the insides of the machinery AND his grandpa)

He had chest pains last week and went in for an x-ray, where they found a suspicious spot on his lung. He also started his cancer treatments with a spot at the base of his neck that they are looking at- both places are inoperable. If they are there, they have already survived one round each of chemo and radiation, which is scary. Still, there is nothing to do for it but wait. Dammit.

Time to pick up the boys from school, I will try and write more soon.
Here's hoping...

No comments:

Post a Comment