Monday, May 24, 2010

Ride 'em,Cowgirl

Howdy from the great state of Texas!

I have been marinating in the lack of pressing responsibilities the past few days, and it has been a much needed hiatus. Of course, there are the daily phone calls from my sisters, frustrated with each other or the kids or of my dad not feeling so well that keep me firmly planted in reality so I don't just float away into the humidity. I can also say I remember -after years- what it feels like to really, really miss my kids. Tobin came in 2nd in his school's spelling bee! I am SO proud!! (I also came in 2nd my first year in a spelling bee, but that was in 4th grade, not 2nd) Go, Tobin!! Annika fell and scraped her elbow and I feel the same pull on my heartstrings in missing that as well. I probably missed Aiden doing bicycle stunts while swordfighting alien-ninja-pirate-robots atop a skateboard, but that's pretty standard, so I'll see it again when I return.

All the same, I am really enjoying Houston, too. It is HUGE! We went to the Museum of Natural Science, which was awesome. I have been to the one in Washington D.C. as well and it is one of my favorite places EVER. The main difference in museums is that the Houston museum has an entire section about oil, courtesy of Halliburton. I learned a lot, but I wish there were as big of an exhibit on finding out about other natural resources as well, but hey- it IS Texas.

Also filed under huge is The Galleria. It ias a mall as big as all of Santa Rosa's downtown! It has two Westin hotels, two Macy's, a Tiffany's, Chanel, Gucci, Versace, Fendi, Dior, YSL and like 300 other stores to drop your entire year's salary into. In the middle is what I thought was the most awesome- an ice rink! Smart thinking for people who go outside and immediately melt away.

The grocery stores are huge, too- they even have enormous natural/organic food selections, which was refreshing. My first day in, Shlomi and I went shopping to get some foods that are conducive to his poor belly and as I was picking out produce, Tori Amos came on over the speakers. TORIIII!! For the few of you who are reading this and don't know me very well, Tori is as close to Buddha or Jesus or Pope John whatever-the-heck as it gets for me. I took it as a personal welcome from the Universe to say "I promise, the Texans will not BBQ you, oh native Californian! Be free!" (nevermind I have no meat on my bones anyhow, but I digress) Also, for the same few people who don't happen to know me so well, it's fairly impossible for me to keep what I am thinking or feeling on the inside. Put me in public, hearing Tori Amos with these two insights and you can imagine why Shlomi stepped in close to say "Honey, people are staring!" as I stood, hugging a bag of organic granny smiths, head tilted back, eyes closed, swaying in the middle of the aisle. Hey man, take your moments when they come! If I know anything, it's that life can take your routine, your marriage, your house, your job, your health... anything, really, in a matter of a single day.

On the other hand, you can also be taken from that life and be put in the arms of someone who loves you (nevermind they may be informing you that you appear slightly insane) with your favorite song and a favorite food, in a random grocery store in a state you never particularly wanted to visit and be put right back in touch with yourself in another 24-hour single bound. My paternal grandmother, whom we lovingly refer to as Grammy, has given me two simple pieces of wisdom that get me through a lot- the first of which is: This too, shall pass. I know that both the despair of feeling helpless and overwhelmed and the bliss of random Tori surrounded by organic produce are passing moments, which is the only reason I can know that I can withstand whatever stresses happen in the day-to-day as well as remember to stop and breathe it all in when when the breaths of fresh air come.

I am going to really miss Shlomi. We have never had so much time together and it has been amazing. He moved here to start a business and had his first job yesterday! I am happy I was here for it, even though it just meant waiting for him to come back to the house so I can see him again. I walked around the apartment complex when he was gone- it, as in most everything else- is HUGE! There is a pool with a fountain and a separate water play area for the kids. His apartment is exactly next to the playground and has a sunken bathtub, only the latter of which I have personally, ever so happily, utilized. We were sitting on the couch watching a movie last night and for the first time in a long time, I was completely relaxed, my only thoughts swimming in love for the moment and him. I am going to box that up and save it for future reference when I am feeling like I did my last post or the days prior to it.

For now, Shlomi is home from work and we are going to go figure out how to spend the rest of my last afternoon here while I gear up for life's next wave... ride em' cowgirl indeed. Yeehaw!

No comments:

Post a Comment